You are here:

Last updated on 16 October 2018
Ref: 30334

You must carry out specific checks on trustees, members and local governors when they join your trust, including DBS and section 128 checks. Find out the details of the specific checks you need to make across different roles.

Article tools


  1. Requirements 
  2. Chair of trustees: DBS requirements
  3. Disqualification for failure to provide a disclosure
  4. How to get the checks

What do DBS checks include?

An enhanced DBS check

  • Checks for spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands and warnings
  • Asks local police for any additional information that is reasonably considered relevant to the workforce being applied for

An enhanced DBS and barred list check

  • Includes the same enhanced DBS checks as above
  • Also checks whether the person is included on the national DBS ‘barred lists’ of individuals unsuitable for working with children or adults


All academy trustees, local governors and members require: 

  • An enhanced DBS check, and barred list check where they are engaging in regulated activity
  • Section 128 direction check
  • Checks to confirm their identity (including as a part of the DBS check)
  • Checks to confirm their right to work in the UK
  • Any other checks deemed necessary where the trustee has lived or worked outside the UK

This is outlined in paragraph 171 and 172 of Keeping Children Safe in Education, and in paragraph 20(6)(b) of The Education (Independent School Standards) Regulations 2014

For DBS checks requirements for chairs of trustees, see the section below.

Chair of trustees: DBS requirements

In most cases, before an individual becomes the chair of trustees in an academy or free school, an enhanced DBS check must be made through the DfE. The check must be countersigned by the secretary of state. 

The flowchart below outlines when a DBS check is needed:

DBS check flowchart for new chairs

Where appropriate, the secretary of state will also check the individual against barred list information. It may be necessary to have one if the chair is considered to be working in "regulated activity".

This is explained in paragraphs 169 and 170 of Keeping Children Safe in Education, and in paragraph 20(3)(b) of The Education (Independent School Standards) Regulations 2014.

Rechecks do not need to be through the secretary of state

Some academy trusts have policies which require their chair of trustees to have a DBS recheck after a number of years. 

Only an initial DBS check for the chair of the trust, countersigned by the secretary of state, is required. After this, rechecks through the secretary of state are not required. 

A trust can carry out its own check on the chair if it has a recheck policy. 

This was explained to us by the DfE

Disqualification for failure to provide a disclosure

Trustees and local governors are disqualified from holding office if they fail to obtain a DBS check. This is outlined in articles 78 and 80 of the model articles of association published by the DfE.

A DfE representative confirmed that this does not prevent an individual disqualified in such circumstances from reapplying in the future.

Articles of association may vary. You should check your academy's own articles of association for details of any requirements in place.

How to get the checks


The general application process is:

  • The employer (you, as the academy trust) gets an application form from DBS or an umbrella body (a registered body that gives access to DBS checks)
  • You give the applicant the form to fill in and return to them along with documents proving their identity
  • You send the completed application form to DBS or their umbrella body
  • DBS sends a certificate to the applicant. You then ask the applicant to see the certificate

This is explained on the GOV.UK website.

DBS webpage sets out which identification documents it accepts. At least one of the documents must show the applicant's current address

Section 128

If you carry out an enhanced DBS check with barred list information on an individual (see above), with 'children's workforce independent schools' specified in the parameters, the certificate will detail whether they're subject a section 128 direction.

If you're not carrying out a barred list check, you can carry out section 128 direction checks through the Teaching Regulation Agency (TRA). You can do this by logging onto the Secure Access Portal.

Countersigned DBS checks for chairs of trustees

To get a countersigned DBS check:

  • Phone the DBS on 03000 200 190. Ask for a DBS enhanced disclosure application form and quote the DfE's DBS registered body name, 'Department for Education', and reference number, 20881800002. Inform the DBS whether you’re a volunteer so they can determine whether the enhanced disclosure fee is payable in your case
  • Complete the DBS enhanced disclosure application form
  • Complete the 'verification of identity' form
  • Complete the DfE enhanced DBS disclosure form for chairs of academy trusts
  • Post all 3 forms and a cheque payment of £44 made payable to DBS

Academies will post them to:

Independent Education and Boarding Team 
Department for Education 
Level 3 
Bishopsgate House 
DL1 5QE 

Free schools and university technical colleges will post them to:

Due Diligence Team 
Department for Education 
Sanctuary Buildings 
Great Smith Street 

The DfE will then check and countersign the DBS application and forward it to the DBS. When the DBS has processed it, the disclosure certificate will be sent to the chair.

This is explained in guidance from the Education and Skills Funding Agency. You can also download a DfE application form from this page. 

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides.