You are here:

Last reviewed on 7 October 2021
Ref: 30561

However your trust manages the curriculum, you need to make sure your academies teach relationships, sex and health education under new guidance. Find out how this affects secondary schools and what your schools will be expected to cover.

Your requirements

All schools with a secondary phase (including all-through and middle schools) need to provide:

  • Relationships and sex education (RSE)
    • This replaces the former need to provide sex and relationships education (SRE), but is more about formalising the expectations than radically changing what you teach
  • Health education
    • You probably already covered parts of this in personal, social, health and economic (PSHE) education, which used to be optional for state-funded schools

This is set out in the DfE's guidance

You must have an RSE policy

You need a policy in place and you must consult parents to develop and review it.

This requirement is outlined in sections 8 to 12 of the Relationships Education, Relationships and Sex Education and Health Education (England) Regulations 2019. We clarified with the DfE what the written statement should include and it said the statement should contain the same information as the school’s RSE

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.